The Bible is not “just a book about religion”. The Bible is a guide book to life. It’ll teach you how to live your life as well as how to raise your children, treat other people, choose and treat your wife, live like a man and so much more. If you make a point to read just a little bit each morning you’ll benefit greatly. People call it your “Quiet Time”. It’s a good time to pray and read some of His Word. Being a Godly man has made my life SO much more worth living and enjoying.
As far as going to church goes, it’s in your best interest to do so. There you will find other Godly people you can lean on in hard times and people who will help you grow in your walk with Him. God instructs us to be around other Christians. Being a Christian is having a RELATIONSHIP with God. Not just meeting him and then say you know him. You should talk to him daily. Thank him for all the good things you have in life and ask him to help you through difficult times and to guide you.
John, in the New Testament, is a great place to start reading The Bible. It’ll set the stage for everything else you’ll read and why The Bible exists. The Bible is broken down into many parts. In the Old Testament, the first 5 books (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy) are known as the Pentateuch. These were written by Moses. They explain how the world started. I love history and every now and then I’ll re-read certain books of The Bible. The first 4 books of the New Testament are called The Gospels. They are all the story of Jesus and his life written by 4 different people (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). These are basically the same stories but from different perspectives.
Over the years I’ve written down different passages and scriptures, in the notes section in the back of my Bible, that I sometimes refer to when I need a little guidance. My favorite books of The Bible are the books Paul wrote (Romans, I and II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, I and II Thessalonians, I and II Timothy, Titus and Philemon). He was such a great writer. Here are the rest of my favorite passages:
- Mark 16:15 The Great Commission
- Matthew 15:13
- 1 John 5 Faith in Jesus
- Proverbs 13:24
- Proverbs 15:1 “A gentle answer”…
- Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd”…
- Revelation 6:8 “Behold a pale horse”…
- 1 Corinthians 6:12 Sexual Immorality
- Psalm 144:1 Battle/War
- Colossians 3 Rules of holy living (verse 8-filthy language)
- Malachi 3:8-10 Tithing
- Romans 12:9 Love and Hate
- Romans 16:17-18 Warning against obstacles
- John 14:6 “I am the truth, the way”…
- Ephesians 6 Children & Parents; Armor of God (6:10)
- James 1:5 Wisdom
- John 8:32 “The truth shall set you free”
- Genesis 17 Covenant with Abraham (split from Christianity and Islam)
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 Being tempted/tested
- Luke 22:36 Sell cloak and but a sword (gun/weapon ownership)
- *Hebrews 12:7-12 Hardship (God’s discipline)
- *Romans 10:9 Proclaiming Jesus and being “saved”
- *Revelation 3:20 Jesus knocking on the door to your heart, conviction to being saved.
- Luke 13:22-30 Maintaining a relationship with God
- John 15:13 “Greater love hath no man”… (about your brothers-in-arms)
- Revelation 20:15 Name not found in Book of Life equals Hell.
- Revelation 21:8 “ “ “ “ “ “ “
- Psalm 22 Prophecy about Jesus’ crucifiction. Written almost 1000 years before the crucifiction of Jesus.
- Matthew 18:20 “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with you”.
- Isaiah 53 More prophecy describing Jesus’ crucifiction written in the Old Testament.
- Jeremiah 29:11 God knows our plans in life. His plan for us is perfect. We may not understand it or agree, but it’s God’s and it is right.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Jonah 2:9
- John 3:36 Believing gives you eternal life, not believing gives you God’s wrath.
- Psalm 118:8 Trusting in the Lord
- John 3:16 “For God so loved the world…”
- John 15:13 “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends”
- Psalm 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”.
Feel free to add to this if something you read jumps out at you. I add to this list every once in a while as I continue my trek in life with my Christianity. I hope and pray that these help you on your journey.
Need a bible? Get one here on Amazon!!!